Yesterday was a blustery day.
I was driving in Concord on Thoreau street, approaching its intersection with Walden street, with a big yellow leafed maple tree in full bloom right before me. It was glorious in the afternoon sun and its leaves were ripe to fall.
Just as I stopped at the stop sign, a sudden gust of wind sent its leaves flying, and a crosswind sent them scattering through the air like a large flock of yellow starlings, seemingly swooping and soaring on the afternoon crosswinds.
I went on to Walden Pond for my transcendental afternoon walk, but nothing I experienced that afternoon was more transcendental then that now semi-naked tree having flung its leaves to the winds. Autumn has truly arrived in Concord.
SPIRITUAL PILGRIM: Awakening Journeys of a Twenty-First Century Transcendentalist continues to climb in its amazon ratings as the first two five star customer reviews of my book have been posted. Thank you all who have bought my book, and if you liked it, please add a customer review on amazon!
The book launch of SPIRITUAL PILGRIM: Awakening Journeys of a Twenty-First Century Transcendentalist has been wonderful, with this new book joining my first book SPIRITUAL AUDACITY on amazon’s top ten percent best selling books on their website. But it is hindered by having no positive reviews yet.
Can you please help by going on amazon and reviewing my book? Thanks a million! Jim
Please come join my author event this Wednesday
Rev. Dr. Jim Sherblom, author of SPIRITUAL PILGRIM:
Awakening Journeys of a Twenty-First Century Transcendentalist
Wednesday, October 17 at 7 pm Main Library, 129 Main Street
Jim’s spiritual memoir tells stories of his mystic travels on spiritual pilgrimages with Sufi’s, Taoists, shamans, Buddhists, Christians and Transcendentalists.
“Equal parts memoir and guidebook, Spiritual Pilgrim entrances with stories that reveal Jim’s unabashedly open heart and deep well of knowledge.”
Doug Stone and Sheila Heen, co-authors of New York Times bestselling book Difficult Conversations
Rev. Dr. Jim Sherblom is a transcendentalist author, scholar, mystic, theologian, entrepreneur, and investor. He holds a BA in history from Yale, an MBA from Harvard, and Masters in Divinity and Doctor of Ministry degrees from Andover Newton Theological School.
He lives a transcendentalist existence with his wife Loretta in Concord, MA where you will often find him ambling trails once loved by Emerson, Alcott, Hawthorne, Fuller and Thoreau. Come hear of one man’s universal spiritual journey.
Register on the library’s online calendar of events
at http://www.concordlibrary.org or call 978-318-3365
If you wish to spend a delightful evening swapping stories with religious mystics,and celebrate the launch of my second spiritual memoir, come join us at First Parish in Concord at 7:30 pm on Friday September 28, 2018
Come help me celebrate the launch of my second book:
SPIRITUAL PILGRIM: Awakening Journeys of a Twenty-First Century Transcendentalist
At First Parish in Concord at 7:30 pm on Friday September 28, 2018.
The book is full of quotes from historical and contemporary mystics. To test your knowledge of how mystics relate to the divine mystery, here is a short quiz:
In my book SPIRITUAL PILGRIM: Awakening Journeys of a Twenty-First Century Transcendentalist I quote many mystics about the nature of divine mystery. See if you can match each mystic with their words (at least five are Unitarian Universalist mystics):
A: Teresa of Avila; B: Buddha; C: Bernard of Clairvaux; D: Confucius; E: St. John of the Cross; F: Meister Eckhart; G: Ralph Waldo Emerson; H: Abhi Janamanchi J: Jesus of Nazareth; K:Kabir; L: Lord Krishna; M: Mirabai of Jodhpur; N: Moses of Midian; O:Om Prakash Gilmore; P: Rabinadrath Tagore; Q: Henry David Thoreau; R: Jacob Trapp; S: Lao Tzu
- Loving yourself as a child of God unites you with God through love______
- God was present in my arms… then I knew my soul, every soul, has always held Him______
- We blossomed in spring. Our bodies are leaves of God_____
- If you want, the Virgin will come walking down the street pregnant with Light and sing______
- Girls, think twice before inviting God near. His charms will turn you into a slave – are you ready for such wonderful bondage? ______
- If I told you the truth about God, you might think I was an idiot ______
- Everything that lives is holy… and it can lift you up to God ______
- Dance wildly, sing joyfully, fill your heart with the beauty of the Beloved as the Beloved turns your soul to Light ______
- Where there is no desire, all things are at peace ______
- I followed my heart’s desire with bliss without overstepping the lines of propriety _____
- Once you know how to return to the present moment, you will be awakened, and in that moment, you will find your true self _____
- The same stream of life that runs through my veins night and day runs through the world and dances rhythmic measures ______
- The impermanent has no reality, reality lies in the eternal _____
- May all be happy. May all be healthy. May all experience what is good. May no one suffer ______
- Blessed are the selfless and humble for theirs is the kingdom of God _____
- May God bless you and keep you; may his face shine upon you ______
- The currents of the Universal Being circulate through me; I am part and particle of God _____
- I love the wild not less than the good _______
How did you do? The answer key is on a separate page.